Tuesday, January 18, 2011

From the "Tell me again why you live there" department...

Yet another reason not to live in California, as if more were needed.
While the holiday shopping season is long gone, some Humboldt County residents are stocking up on ammunition for fear of a new California law that goes into effect next month placing restrictions on the purchase of bullets.

Under the law, those buying handgun ammunition will be required to provide vendors with their thumbprint, address and photo identification, with the idea that it will make the task of investigating and preventing gun-related crime easier for law enforcement.

5 comments:

Ken Hagler said...

And the answer is, "Because I like the idea of eating, having a roof over my head, and not being surrounded by a frozen wasteland that's so hellishly cold that I can't set foot out my front door 360 days of the year."

Joel said...

Well, you do have a point there. Years before I left Socal I used to joke, "I don't know for sure where I'm going, but wherever it is I'm sure I'll never stop bitching about the weather." The weather was the one thing I liked about Socal.

Ken Hagler said...

Indeed. About the only place with weather I like better than SoCal is Phoenix, and there's no way I'd ever live in a place that has: a) Joe Arpaio as Sheriff, and b) voters who would elect Joe Arpaio as Sheriff.

Joel said...

Hm. You forgot c) has summer highs that can melt asphalt.

Though I agree Sheriff Joe's presence is reason enough to avoid the place.

Ken Hagler said...

I actually _like_ extremely high temperatures. :-)