Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dig we must.

So this morning I drove M's tractor to shit-shoveling, scooped the manure pile into better shape, then filled the bucket with the first load we'll need for fruit trees. My mission: To dig the first hole of three, for three trees.

M's instructions were explicit: Each hole was to be eight feet cubed. I was verbal on the point that an eight by eight by eight hole would make a respectable storm cellar, and seemed excessive for an apple tree, but that's what he wants. He's been doing a lot of research on soil amendment, so maybe these will work out better than Landlady and T's first attempts did.

Getting the tractor to anywhere from the property can be harrowing because there's a very steep grade on the road and the last time I rode the tractor up it, it kept doing wheelies. That big backhoe is too much weight. So this time, I made a stop at the wash first and scooped up a bucket of sand and rocks. That did the trick. Dumped it at the top of the hill. The second issue to deal with is that, though I have lived a long and sometimes adventurous life, I have no experience with a backhoe. You know the guy you've watched at construction sites, who makes the backhoe look like it's one of his own arms? I'm not that guy. And I was correct in my surmise that it's not as easy as he makes it look. On the other hand, it's basically just digging a hole: It's not as hard as he'd probably want you to believe, either.

I may have to turn in my guy union card for admitting this, but it's really not my favorite thing. I worked on that hole for hours, gradually improving my speed and technique, and thought the noise and vibration were going to make my head fall off. I think next time I'll bring some earmuffs and see if that helps. At six feet I ran into rocks, which slowed matters somewhat, but finally achieved an eight-foot depth. Then I started widening the hole, which went substantially faster.

And then I ran out of diesel. Sigh. I'll bet it's gonna be a bitch to restart: I'll probably have to bleed the whole system again. But M did bring me some fuel cans, so now I have to get into town and fill them before I can continue.

But the really good news is that there's running water at the Meadow House, and I lit the water heater before I left this morning, which means by now there should be HOT running water there! Which means this afternoon I get my very first real bath since late December. Covered with grit as I am, the timing is pretty good.

5 comments:

KurtP said...

If you turned it off when it started coughing, you might be ok. If you ran it too far down and have a compressor (or air supply) you can crack the fuel line right before the fuel pump and pressurize the tank (just a little). That;ll force fuel up to the pump.

As for the digging, if it's one with four levers (like it looks old enough) learn to use your fingers to control two levers each.
Your right hand will control the bucket curl and the crowd.
Your left will control the boom and swing.

Hope that helps.

KurtP said...

Oh, make it a habit to gauge the tank when you do your prestart.
You DO check fluids before you start it- right?

Anonymous said...

"You DO check fluids before you start it-right?"

Just his bourbon levels.

Buck.

MamaLiberty said...

An 8 foot cube hole for one tree? WOW! But I'll bet it will be great for the tree. Wish I had access to a backhoe... and a guy to run it, of course. :)

Anonymous said...

The other way to handle grades is to just back up the hill. Especially useful if you need to put it on a trailer.