Thursday, January 29, 2009

Again, a good day

Temperature this morning on rising was what you expect when there's not a cloud in the sky; colder than a witch's cliche'. But it rose, as it always does as long as the wind is mild, and today was another 'send a photo home to mama' perfect high desert day.

Lord, for once my lazy ass accomplished everything I set out to do and a few things besides. Laundry's done and folded, the dogs are happy with me, there's nice fresh bread cooling in the kitchen, almost all those 2X12s I've been ducking are de-nailed and stacked, and I've got rocks lined on the latest patch where Magnus pulled Gitmo's fence apart. If I got this much done every day - hell, every other day - I'd almost consider myself a productive human being. I've been sitting around most of the winter getting even lazier than usual and feeling more and more worthless; gad, it's good to see some progress.

And of course I've got to get over my sitonmyassitis, because there's a cabin to build and nobody's going to do it for me. Tomorrow, unless the generator pickup gets in the way (it still hasn't shown up, but I have now been assured that tomorrow's the day) I'm going to haul the footer boards to the site and start digging out the mud that's got my trench filled halfway back in. In the fall a neighbor had a well put in on the ridge my cabin site snuggles up to, and when they pumped it out they gave me a terrible surprise. The mud flowed down a little gully but instead of turning left toward the wash like the channel said it should, about half of it jumped the channel and went right into my trench. Clearly I misread the signs there, which means there's a lot more digging in my future; I have to convince that gully not to give me any more presents.

Much to do, much to do. A few more good days like this, and I'll start feeling capable of doing it.

No comments: