Thursday, January 1, 2009

Just Another Day

I waffled for a few months, when I first thought of starting a 'desert hermit' blog. The problem I anticipated was that, most days, nothing much actually goes on so what the hell would I write about? I hate it when I start following somebody else's blog, and then he/she just runs out of things to say and goes silent, or writes twice-monthly entries that consist of "sorry it's been so quiet here." I'd hate to start one of my own, then go silent because - well - there's nothing to say.

Today was one of those "just another day" days. I hung around indoors till the sun cleared the hills and the temperature got reasonable. The boys and I went for a walk along a neighboring ridge. I put a coat of paint on my new carbine. I washed a bunch of laundry that had piled up during the Big Freeze. I played with the dogs. I started on the carbine's camo blotches. I hung the laundry. The boys (and Butch) and I went for another walk, and made a mess in the mud. I worked on emptying the black-water tank, now mostly thawed. We had Snacky Time. Setting aside even more mundane details like meals, that's it. No big adventures, no wise revelations, nothing to report. A pretty typical day.

There are a couple of chores I've been putting off, that can really be put off no longer. There's a ditch for a propane line that needs to be lengthened. There's an enormous stack of salvaged 2X12 lumber that all needs to be de-nailed (and that seems to be composed of concrete - those nails do not want to come out.) You don't want to hear about that, either.

It's kind of an issue.

8 comments:

The last cause said...

Actually Joel, that is what I'd sort of come to expect, self directed effort, not some magical ride of Zombie Bikers and Refugess or whatever the imagination can dream up.

Joel said...

Yeah, the mutant zombie bikers are always scheduled for Tuesdays. That way I know not to make quiche; the noise flattens it. ;-)

AlanDP said...

When I was a kid, my dad and grandpa (and I) tore down an old house to salvage the lumber. I spent all summer pulling nails. Oh man, that was tedious. I know exactly what kind of job that is.

The last cause said...

Can't write about a Gulch without mutant zombie Bikers Joel..I think it is some sort of unspoken rule or something...:)

Crowbar for the nails? When I worked construction I had a small crowbar that did a better job then a hammer at getting those nails out.

Joel said...

I've got a couple of nice prybars. The problem with this particular batch of lumber is that all I seem able to do is to snatch the heads off the nails. It's a pain in the ass - especially since some of these boards are destined to be my floor, and I need those nails gone.

Joel said...

RE: MZBs,

I already took some shots at freedom fiction, so rather than make specific enemies I think I'll just quietly back away from this topic. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Can you pound them out at this point, if the nail head is plucked off?

What day is quiche day? I love quiche!

Joel said...

I can pound them back and forth, but can't get them out with a hammer claw or pry bar.

I've been thinking, though, since the subject came up, that I can probably lever them out with a pair of vise grips. I'm going to try that this afternoon; I know I've got a pair around here somewhere.

I don't actually cook quiche very often. But I make a mean omelet, when I've got the ingredients.