Monday, January 12, 2009

Sitemeter and Privacy

A little over a week ago I installed Sitemeter here, because the other freebie hit meter I'd tried didn't work for crap. Sitemeter worked a bit too well; it gave me the information I was interested in and a whole lot I wasn't. I figured I could just ignore that crap; I don't care about your IP address, much less the resolution of your monitor. :-)

What I didn't realize was that I should have adjusted the privacy level when I did the install, because the default setting makes that info available to everybody. Yow, not good. This morning I received the following eye-opening email...

Good morning Joel,

I was on your blog yesterday, (which I check often as I find it enjoyable) while there I was wondering about your traffic, I didn't see the usual place that just had a number so I pressed the sitemeter bar.

OMGoodness what an eye opener: At first I didn't think too much about the info there, just very generic numbers, then I noticed an option to see the world map, again curious as I had seen this on other blogs displayed on main pages, I viewed it.

Did you know that if you put your courser over the dots/click you can get a poop load of info on a viewer? Right down to the Coordinates of the viewer? Did you know that that sort of information was available to just anyone who looks at your blog? (I only tried to look at what was obviously mine.) I had no idea... I was actually shocked...

I'm sure you do know, I was both fascinated and repelled by that little excursion...While I believe I conduct my self in a well-mannered way on the web it will give me pause on where I comment in future....

Is there a way for you to secure that info so it is not available for public consumption? Just asking.


I apologize for this oversight. I don't like it when people look over information on me I'd rather be private, and I assume you feel the same way. It was an ignorant error, which (I now hope) has been fixed.

You should know, though, that such information is easily available to anyone who cares and knows how to look, pretty much anywhere you go on the web. Keep it in mind.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Thanks for that. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

J