Monday, January 26, 2009

Weird Weather

Virtually everywhere I've lived (except Southern California, where there's an entirely different joke) people told the same tired joke: If you don't like the weather in (fill in the state), just wait a minute. Usually it isn't all that true.

Yesterday, around here, it was totally true. Went to bed Saturday night to clouds and gloom, expecting it to not get very cold. Woke to clear skies and thick frost; I was still shivering in my coat at 9 AM. By 10 the sun had the temperature in the high fifties and I was shedding layers as fast as I could peel them off. Then around two in the afternoon (right after I lit a trash fire, of course) the wind came up harder than it's blown in months. The temperature held for a while, but then crashed before sundown and once again I was shivering in my bed. Sheesh.

Got a lot of work done while it was nice, though. I'm a little less than a third of the way through that big stack of 2X12s and making progress. So a good day, all in all. Here's hoping today's as good because my landlady's due and a lot of little things I wanted to get done are scattered around half-done. The weather, while springtime weird, is still cooperating more than it was a few weeks ago and I need to get more organized. As soon as I do, I'll get a foot of snow.

Yes, I'm blaming it on the weather. Otherwise, what's it for?

Oh, that Socal joke, yeah. 'Southern California doesn't really have weather, as such; just the occasional natural disaster.' Well, I didn't promise it was funny...

2 comments:

Jacques said...

Hah! Gotta love that high desert... Have you got to the point yet where you fall over when the wind stops blowing?

--J

Joel said...

LOL, yeah. In the spring I pretty much get used to walking at an angle. Then once in a while, just to keep it different, the wind stops and I have to learn to walk all over again.