Saturday, January 24, 2009

Conflict in the Lair?

Woke this morning to raindrops on the roof. Fritz and Ghost agitated to get out about quarter to four, but then came back in and let me sleep for another couple of hours. When I finally stirred about the sun was lighting the sky on the far side of the ridge and the clouds were breaking up. Maybe it won't be such a dreary day after all.

Fritz seems to have something going on with Butch lately. Neither will talk to me about it, of course: It's not the sort of thing they'd voluntarily bring to Uncle Joel. But several times I've found Fritz taking an unusual interest in Butch's doings, and not in a friendly way. Butch has been picking on Click again, and the dogs consider that out of bounds. But the other day I was sitting at my table when Butch came by and wanted to play. He started wrestling with my hand where I dangled it toward the floor; it's a tomcat thing and we've done it since he was a kitten. I wasn't even paying that much attention, but suddenly Butch took a great heave off to one side, quite unlike his normal movement. I looked down and found that Fritz had quietly risen from where he'd been napping on the floor, placed the top of his muzzle against Butch and shoved him away from my hand. Then he stood over my hand, staring at Butch, his body language distinctly saying 'do you feel lucky?' Judging from his actions - he stared insolently for a moment and then left the lair - Butch did not, in fact, feel particularly lucky just then.

Butch has never gotten on very well with any of the other animals. But until now it's only with Click that it's come to blows, and she can take care of herself. Oh, he's thumped the dogs from time to time, but before they never paid much mind. I'd hate to think the boys are losing patience with him; that would not go well for him.

No comments: