Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The new generator finally arrived...

I feel ripped off, and I didn't even pay for it.

Engine by Cummins, genset by Onan. That was the advertisement. Reality - not so much. The landlady is going to be pissed.

A trip to town is a big deal; Due to my papers not being in order and some deputies knowing it, I can go to town any time I want as long as I don't drive. Consequently each such trip requires a daring and intricate plan.

Step one: Load up the Jeep. A trip to town is an opportunity to gorge on fuel, not to be missed. Of course the boys assume they're going for a ride. Not today, guys. So of course they're upset with me.


Step two: Drive to the neighbors. Unload Jeep, load truck. Say hello to Lothario, who's visiting to make the lady goats happy and being very enthusiastic about his duties.


Step three: Drive to town. The generator was delivered to a local shop, which also sells propane. Load generator onto truck. Fill propane bottles. Do other shopping. Drive home.


Step four: Unload truck. Strip carton off generator. Drive back to neighbors. Pick up Jeep. Drive home again.


Step five: Look at engine. Bite through pipe stem. It has a Cummins sticker, but that's all. It's a generic Japanese engine; it ain't no Cummins.



Get the wheel kit on, steal the battery from the old generator, fill crankcase, add fuel. Well, it starts right up and runs quiet, anyway. But I'm sure going to pay attention to maintenance because I've seen a bunch of these engines and they do not impress me.

Sheeit.

2 comments:

PintofStout said...

Lothario doesn't get to be anonymous like the dogs?

Joel said...

Nope. Lothario is a loud, proud activist. He'd be offended by a mask, and you must not offend him.