Monday, February 9, 2009

Note to Future Generator Users...

When you buy a new gasoline-powered generator, you'll notice it is covered with all sorts of blood-curdling messages about how you must never run one indoors, or carbon monoxide will kill you in mere milliseconds and your kids will all get rabies. Or maybe it was scurvy, I forget.

Anyway, it's true that you should not run a generator indoors, and carbon monoxide is one excellent reason why not. Late last year we accidentally learned another really good one - you'll burn up the engine. They are air-cooled, after all, and the exhaust heats up a room in a terrible hurry. Our generator was always mounted in a covered carport right next to the power shed, but last autumn for all sorts of what seemed really good reasons we enclosed the area. We didn't think too much about the generator at the time, and really should have. I ended up doing valve jobs on both those engines, and one didn't last too long after that. It helped to open the back door and let the generator run a fan to pull air through the front door, but it didn't help enough.

Now we've got a new generator, and I sure wasn't going to set it up in the same place. But without the carport I didn't have a place to put it out of the weather, that was close enough to the power shed.

So I built one, on the sheltered side of the shed...


I don't have any shingles or corrugated stock on hand and it's been raining intermittently, so I temporarily covered it with a scrap of a larger tarp that the wind had pulled to pieces. I cut off what I didn't need and while I was working the wind blew the excess against the fence. For some reason Ghost was laying on it when I started to clean up my mess and he didn't want to move off. We got to wrestling and playing over whether he should move. When he finally did and I was dragging the mess away, ol' jealous Fritz jumped his whole million-pound body right in the middle of the tarp scrap I'd been dragging behind me. When I turned to remonstrate with him over his manners, he just started whining and snapping. "Play with me, too! Play with me!"

We have continual conflicts over who's the 'best.'

No comments: