Thursday, March 12, 2009

Question about a Wood Stove...



I've gotten some good advice from readers here, and I'm hoping somebody can help me with this if you would.

I've recently acquired a wood stove for Joel's Secret Lair, Final Edition. (Yay!)

I don't actually know very much about wood stoves. (Boo!)

This one appears in great shape; it's welded steel plate, no rust anywhere, everything present and nice'n'tight. But I have a question about the placement of the fire brick. When I got the thing unloaded the bricks were just sort of jumbled around inside. I thought all I needed to do was line the floor and lower sides of the stove with them. I did notice that this arrangement covers up the adjustable air inlet on the bottom of the stove.

I started a fire inside, and when it was going good closed the door to check the seal and draft. The fire went out almost instantly. I checked the air inlet damper - wide open. Opened the door, fire re-ignited.

Okay, clearly the fire brick is cutting off the air flow. But then I don't understand how the bricks are supposed to be arranged inside. My understanding is that they're supposed to keep the burning material from direct contact with the steel, yes? So what am I doing wrong?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be that the bricks need to be placed in a manner that surrounds, but doesn't block the air inlet. Looking at the right side there appears to be some smaller bricks (unless they're just cracked unintentionally.) May just be one of those sadistic logic problems to figure out how the bricks are supposed to line the stove without blocking the air.

Anonymous said...

Match the burn pattern on the brick.

Anonymous said...

Without an exhaust pipe to help create a draw of air that could be causing the fire to go out (or be hard to start).

fm

CaptGooch said...

I wish I could actually put my hands on it. {I am really pretty good with fire and most things that are involved with fire. The photos you have don't show me where the air inlet is.
fm is right about the chimney. You do need at least two pipe joints [lengths] on the stove to convince the air that it wants to go UP with the heat.
In most of the stoves I have seen heretofore the air inlet was low and in front but even then not clear on the bottom of the firebox.
I wish I could put my hands on it.
Is there an echo in here ?

Best, g