Sunday, May 31, 2009

Now THIS is the sort of thing I get wadded up over...

Been seeing a lot of rat (once even a squirrel) incursions in the pantry for some time. Mostly they attacked dog food, which isn't that big a disaster; the jays eat as much dog food as the boys do, and not much can be done about it. But nobody eats my food except me and my friends (and Magnus, of course.)

So I used my only plastic tub to protect my beans and rice, and moved the flour to a high shelf where I hoped it would be safe till I could get more tubs. I got more earlier in the week, but wasn't quick enough to save a sack of flour. When I checked it this morning and saw white dust on a black plastic bag protecting a sack of salt from wet, I knew I had trouble.


Sure enough; right in the middle of the @#$%$! sack. Gorram it!


My working flour supply is always stored in a pail, but I didn't take enough care to protect the stored sacks. Now I've got enough plastic tubs, which the rodents don't seem to bother.


The pantry didn't used to have these problems, but traffic patterns change. My lair is 'way off to one corner of the property, and the pantry gets lots of quiet time that the beasties just love. Soon, I hope all this will be moved to the barn, which has lots more traffic. The rickety building we use for the pantry will be reprocessed into its parts, and then...I...will...be...happy.

No comments: