Sunday, August 23, 2009

"I hope Art Frommer will remember..."

"Western man don't need him 'round, anyhow."

Do Guns at Political Events Disturb You? Then Consider Skipping Arizona for Now
For myself, without yet suggesting that others follow me in an open boycott, I will not personally travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons onto the sidewalks and as a means of political protest. I not only believe such practices are a threat to the future of our democracy, but I am firmly convinced that they would also endanger my own personal safety there. And therefore I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more. And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona.

According to the Phoenix, Arizona, police, people with guns including assault rifles do not need permits in Arizona, but can simply carry such weapons with them, openly and brazenly, when they gather to protest a speaker at a public event. The police also acknowledge that about a dozen people carrying guns, including one with an AR-15 assault rifle, milled about outside the event at which President Obama spoke.
Hm! Sounds like a nice place. Few times I've been there it's been too damned hot, though; at least down in the valley. And the Lair is shaping up, so I'll stay where I am. But I've met some fine folks from Arizona; much of it is probably a great place to live. Plus you can be sure of not meeting this prissy little stiff there, and that's gotta be a plus.

2 comments:

C.M. said...

After reading that tripe I had to look up brazenly in the dictionary, just in case there was a definition I wasn't familaur with.

Shamless, Marked by flagrant and insolent audacity.

Wow, folks are allll that for exercising their rights?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Al, now I can trash those Frommer guides cluttering up the bookcase.