Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yup. Another good day.

And I thought it was going to be a waste. We got Mr. & Ms. B's generator going, though it turns out they need at least one battery. The genny hadn't run in over a year or been drained of gas, and I was afraid a snootful of bad gas would have kept us from starting it without more work than anyone wanted to do. The generator's box had been hermetically sealed with silicone by some former owner so it took damned near two hours to get at it, but once at it things went well. Then we did some re-wiring so that their lair could actually make use of it, and they're energy independent! Or will be, once we can start the genny without jumping the battery.

I finally got a call back from the local vet, and I'm leaving as soon as I finish typing this to take Fritz to see him. It sounds as if the ear is nothing very serious, though "hemotoma" has a kind of ominous ring to it.

Then S&T, a couple of neighbors I barely know but who know about the imminent building of the Secret Lair, which locally isn't as much a secret as it maybe should be, showed up with some windows they don't need that solve a couple of knotty problems I didn't have good solutions for. Very generous!

And finally, an experiment that conclusively proved my breadmaker has gone south, which explains why all my bread loaves have been falling for months. It didn't sound very logical, but M also has a breadmaker and when he made the same recipes, his loaves were beautiful. Day before yesterday I made a loaf of pumpernickel and, while it tasted fine, it cratered heartbreakingly in the center. So today I made the exact same recipe, borrowing his maker, and...


Perfection. So...I still don't know why, but I need a new breadmaker. Fortunately the timing is excellent: Tomorrow M and I are going on an expedition to the city and I'll try to find one.

No comments: