Saturday, September 19, 2009

UNtrenching...

...isn't quite as bad - okay, it isn't anywhere near as bad - as trenching, but it's still a tedious pain in the ass. Yet it must be done. I've got the water line run to the edge of the Secret Lair's yard, a bootleg yard faucet installed, and there is in fact now water run to the vicinity of the Lair, at least.
So every morning before it gets hot I fill in a bit of the trench. There's a little less than 300 feet of trench from the cistern to the yard, and I got lucky with the first hundred feet or so: A passing good samaritan with a tractor blade filled in that part. Things like that happen here. Of course that leaves 200 feet, mostly on a steep slope. I've been at it for three mornings now and am a little more than halfway there.
The lair has a beautiful view of the wash. I'm hung up on some big-ticket items like insulation and roofing, and seriously doubt that I'll actually be ready to move in before things freeze. But I'll keep plugging along. I've got all the windows I need but there's no rush to install them, and a few reasons not to which I don't choose to publicly discuss.
But boy! Do I have water pressure! It's about a 50-foot drop from the cistern to the faucet, and that gives me more pressure than I need. No electric pressure pump needed here! Which is good, because I'm probably years from having a serious electrical system.

No comments: