Friday, March 19, 2010

The Mature Freedomista

In answer to the post below, The Grey Lady said, in part,
Accidentally stumbling on that site [Survival Blog] was what got me going down my freedom oriented road, woke me up with a slap in the head, well a slow slap in the head, took a while for it to take hold if you know what I mean. I stopped going after a while as I found it's the sky is falling, general fear mongering of "every frickin thing on the planet" everyday a wee bit too much for my tender self, that and the constant gun talk that was making me sick. We are going to be sitting here with our mighty dogs, bows and cans of bear mace to stave of the hoards post SHTF, Egads.
I started to write a reply in agreement, but decided it needed its own post because it touches on a larger issue.

I went through my "guns and gear," TEOTWAWKI phase when I still had hair, and now kind of benignly regard it as a sort of gateway drug to the freedomista life.

A friend once astutely suggested that a sign of maturity in these matters lies in the question of whether you define yourself by what you're against or what you're for. Do you just rage against Leviathan, or do you really seek freedom in the life you have now? Really contemplating that question, and acting on the answers you find, can have a startling effect on many aspects of your life. In terms of physical and emotional comfort, it's not necessarily a positive effect. So it's important to choose carefully. Leviathan doesn't care what you think or what you say, as long as as you don't say it too loud. But when you start doing freedom, you can get yourself into trouble. And by doing freedom, I don't mean [just] obsessing about guns. I mean actively disregarding the Beast in favor of getting on with your life, understanding (this part's really important) that that sort of disrespect can get you eaten, and bloody doing it anyway.

Oops ... I see by the clock on the wall that it's time to go do something illegal, so I have to cut this short. The subject needs more noodling, and I'll try to get back to my pontification later.

EDIT: At least on the subject of SHTF scenarios, rather than blather on I'll just repeat something I said a few months ago and let it go at that.

No comments: