Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bad experiences with Magnum boots

I spent years going through my first pair of Magnum desert boots back before I actually moved to the desert. Loved them, so when they went south I bought another pair. They also wore okay, though they constantly raised a big painful callous on one toe. Three years in the desert and they were toast, so last summer I bought another pair of Magnums. I couldn't find desert boots locally and my only attempt at buying them on-line ended badly. So I bought some super-lightweight black zip-side Magnums. Less than one year, and they're falling to pieces.



The stitching's coming loose all over, the sole's about worn out - I just wasn't happy with the way these held out at all. And Landlady has a practically new pair of Magnum desert boots (Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots!) and this morning she found a big tear across the back of one, just above the heel reinforcement, that makes no sense at all. If you hit a boot hard enough to tear it like that, seems like you'd notice.

So it looks like I'm going to be shopping for new, and they won't be Magnums. I don't know why the brand went downhill like that. Anybody have a suggestion for a replacement? What with the wooden leg, I need something light but able to survive what I do out here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danner Stryker 8" side zip

Brass said...

I had the same experience with Magnum boots. That was back in the days of Magnum Hi-Tecs. I bought them at a flea market, already well worn, and they were the best combat boots I'd owned. They lasted me years. The pair I bought new did not last 6 months of normal use.

So, along with Totes Umbrellas, Timex watches (whose bands invariably fall apart/break), and Ray Ban sunglasses, I've now added Magnum boots to the brands I will never buy again.

Magnum Side-zip Boots said...

Original Desert Boot is really the epitome of simple design.No flashy cuts of leather,no funky patina's,just a clean design using classic colors and high quality full grain leather or suede.So i recommended it.