Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hm.

My prospects for a booming career in the manual labor field are fading fast, if the fallout from the past two weeks is any indication.

Week before last I spent feverishly trying to finish a (rather small, I admit) concrete retaining wall. Beginning a week ago this past Saturday, we've been building a house. Tuesday I had to drop out because I couldn't walk any more. Since then I held up my end, except for staying away from carrying a lot of heavy objects up hills which is what lamed me on Saturday-Monday. The past several days are a blur.

On Sunday the last of the teeming masses went away. I fell instantly into a coma, from which I may have emerged this morning. At least this morning I'm feeling a little ambition toward joining the boys in a walky. Then I'll probably start thinking about another nappy, from which (if yesterday is any guide) I'll emerge sometime around sundown, just in time for bed. Oy.

Getting old and slow is highly overrated.

2 comments:

suek said...

"Getting old and slow is highly overrated."

Yeah. You're right.

But it beats the alternative...

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

My grandpa was in his early 80s when he stopped working his trade. On his last day of work he was trampled by a bull.

Old and not-quick-enough...

The folks he worked for hired two men to replace him.

To close on a more cheerful note - here's this quote I copied down from the Deadwood series:

"Pain - or damage - don't end the world. Or despair - or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Swearengen