Monday, July 19, 2010

How to tell when you're not dealing with serious preppers...

Did the subject of swords come up as anything but decor? Bingo.

Sure, I think swords are cool. I'm a guy. I want one on my wall. Personally I was always taken with Cold Steel's Grosse Messer. Had a chance to finally fondle one at the SAR show last December. Then I thought of all the other, better uses for the money, and laid it back in its box and moved on.

Buy more ammo. And training. Better yet, buy more food. You got an isolated place to store it, and yourself? Know how you're going to support yourself when you live there? Got a schedule? Got a plan? If not, why are you worrying about silly stuff?

Guys. Conan the Barbarian was a figment of R. E. Howard's imagination. And Howard was crazy.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I likes swords, too, but the only sword-like thing in my bugout bag, if I had a bugout bag, would be a plain ol' 20-inch machete.

My crowd and I have trouble suppressing giggles when we walk by the gun show dealers in China-built Conan swords and Attila "battle axes."

Anonymous said...

As a long time participant in historic recreations, I already have an impressive collection of fully functional ironmongery.

That does not lead me to skimp on my 7.62x39 stockpiles.

And I'll put up my roman style gladius up against a 20" machete any day. It also fits well in my BOB.

Tam said...

Anon 1:21,

I have a nice carbon steel gladius, too.

Come the time for us to all strap colanders to our faces, it will look nice hanging on my wall while I chop brush with a machete and defend myself with firearms.