Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oh, it's been hot lately...

...and humid, which doesn't seem natural. The storms have rolled in pretty much every afternoon, cooling things down nicely by bedtime. Lots of wind, so far not really a lot of water though I noticed yesterday that two small gullies had flowed over the road a couple of miles away. If my interpretation of yesterday's precip is right, there might have been quite a lot more rain east of us. That's where the two canyons are that feed the big wash, so water might be accumulating that will cut us off from the world for a day or two at some point, possibly soon. Water builds up in the canyons and comes out into the wash all at once; always a flash flood, sometimes a veritable wall of water.

But right now it's just hot. And humid.

Getting some nice work done on the Lair. Saturday, as I already reported, L came with her backhoe and dug all the rough excavations for my septic system. Sunday morning the whole gang, Landlady, Claire, M and me, went to the Lair and put up the framing for the bathroom walls. I had feared that putting up interior walls in a 12X16 cabin (It is not a shack, L) would make it seem unacceptably small inside but it isn't too bad. In fact, somebody said it kind of gives the space definition. Now there's a "bathroom," and a "kitchen," where before there was just a big room. This morning I got back to work on the paneling for the long wall, and would have finished it all the way up to the ceiling but right at the end I got frustrated with some fitting I had to do around the kitchen light and quit maybe an hour before I intended to.

It's been fairly light posting lately, I know, but I've been busy in the mornings and in the afternoons all I want to do is find some shade and read or nap through the heat. I like this new laptop, but I swear I can feel the waves of heat coming off it. My wrists leave dirty wet puddles on it when I'm typing. Books are superior hot-weather companions, I'm afraid.

No comments: