Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First Tile Job Ever!

Late last week we went to a town about fifty miles away with the trailer, and I bought everything I needed to do the wall behind the wood stove in The Secret Lair.

This was a bit of a nail-biter for me because that part of the wall is tiled, I've never stuck down a tile in my life, and arguably you shouldn't start learning on a vertical wall. But you do what you gotta do.


Claire, bless her heart, got me started with the first couple of rows on the short wall to keep me from committing the more obvious oopsies. And at the end of about three hours:


There it is! I originally did something artsy and had three courses of cedar siding below the tile, but Claire talked me out of that as inconsistent with a fear of fire. After re-thinking I decided fear of fire was more important than art after all, so I pulled off the siding and replaced it with more cement board. So the siding will go above and beside the tile, but not below it.


The little cabin gets very easily cluttered up, so it's a bit hard to see perspective here. But that's the bathroom getting walled in, and I think the terra cotta tiles are going to go really well with the cedar siding. The grout will be the same color as the tiles. Happy!

4 comments:

desert fox said...

Nice job Joel.

Claire is such a master builder ... who'da thunk a little girl would know so much about construction. 8-)

Cheers.

Jac said...

Niiice... :-)

The Grey Lady said...

It looks wonderful Joel. :O)

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Keep those update pics coming. K