Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sheesh. Where's a guy got to go to get some privacy?

I was all kind of excited this morning. I got to bed at a decent time so woke up before light. Sky was clear, temp was cool. Today I'd at least get a start at tearing down that old pantry building before it fell down. If I can get the walls down intact, it'll probably be worth moving to the Lair's site.

Sun barely cleared the ridge when I was already taking off the roof sheeting. Then Ghost alerted to a truck - to my shock, it was the roofer actually coming to install that piece he'd left off from last week's endless roof installation. After only a week? Knock me over with another feather!

Got him on his way, and Ghost started yelling about another truck. This was actually two: A pickup and some sort of ratty-looking tank truck. The only tank trucks that ever come out here are delivering propane, but they're usually newer and far cleaner than this one. This one wasn't familar at all. If it had come this far it had to be headed either here or the Weekender Neighbors' property. Either destination was perplexing: I knew damned well no propane was due here, and the Weekenders always tell me ahead of time because there's a chain across their driveway and I need to let the truck in. To my surprise, the trucks turned right and headed for the ridge up the BLM road. At that point I found a rock and settled down to watch the show, because there was no way that tank truck was going to get up that ridge and there's absolutely no place to turn around except for Y2K Guy's driveway...

Oops! They turned ONTO Y2K Guy's driveway, like they knew exactly where they were going! That NEVER happens. Now, the Y2K Guy thing is kind of involved and I won't get into it here. Kinda sad, really, but the most important thing about that piece of land is that last I heard the Weekender Neighbors were trying to buy it and it looked like they'd succeed. But still, nobody's lived there since I've lived here and if there was any sort of service due there's a good chance I'd have heard about it. Huh. It probably wasn't anything bad, because a bunch of burglars wouldn't show up in a big, loud tank truck. Still, I did promise to keep an eye on the place. Maybe I should drive up there and see, but if I do that there's gonna be a big, tire-biting scene with the dogs, and...

Hey, wait. I know. I dug my cell phone out of my pocket and called Weekender Neighbor, who for a wonder answered his phone. "You got any idea why there'd be a tank truck on Y2K Guy's place?"

Yeah, it turned out they were actually going to close the sale, but first somebody had to check the septic system. Perfectly legit. Okay.

Now I'm trying to go back to work demolishing the old pantry, when Ghost lights up AGAIN. This time it's one of the rich guys from the other side of the plateau, coming down the BLM road on one of those ATVs that looks like a golf cart with a Rambo complex - nothing to do with me. I can go months without seeing anybody drive on that road - today it's a frickin' expressway.

I kinda wish all these people would go away.

2 comments:

MamaLiberty said...

I know a little of what you mean. I used to live on the end of a very bad dirt road out in the desert. My house was the only one on that road, and nobody came down there unless they were looking for me... or were terribly lost.

But if I pulled a late night shift and needed to sleep during the day, I could almost take bets that at least one big, noisy vehicle would come down that road while I was trying to sleep. And they often got stuck in the sand where the wash crossed the "road."

Some days you just can't win. :) But I'm glad it wasn't an invasion of the nasties.

Anonymous said...

I used to live at the very end of a dirt road, and the only people I saw were friends, family,the occassional hunter/fisherman, or the lost. If you work graveyard shift, such a location is great.At one place, I had to put up a "This House Is Not Abandoned-It Just Looks That Way..Thank You" sign.