Friday, October 8, 2010

I just learned something that makes me a little sad.

Joseph Sobran is dead.

Why should I care about a columnist when - left or right - I usually just keep them around for laughs? Sobran seemed to be an unusually honest and courageous one. Once an up-and-coming conservative pundit, he actually broke with William Buckley over Reagan's Libya bombing and the whole question of whether what's good for Zionism is good for America. Since then he went even further afield, and that couldn't have been an easy path to walk for a person who considered himself a conservative.

R.I.P.

ETA: The ambiguity of his conservative status didn't keep him from tearing long, bloody strips off Bill Clinton at every opportunity. I just found my very favorite from that period. Enjoy.

5 comments:

suek said...

I've never heard of the man before. Thank you for the reference...his writing looks like something to consider - even if I _am_ a bit late to the party!

Anonymous said...

I posted his "reluctant anarchist" piece in a couple of places in the past. No one ever responded. I thought it was very well done, poignant and true. There is a time to put away childish things.

Brass said...

"The Reluctant Anarchist" was his masterpiece, in my opinion. Joe Sobran was a good man, and he did not die a wealthy man. He was the real deal. What you saw was what you got.

As they said on Lew Rockwell, "Joe was no hater. He just loved the Prince of Peace."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/66445.html

Linda Morgan said...

From the Clinton column:

[Clinton] wants his character to be defined as his “private life.”

Damn, that's insightful.

Both the pieces you linked are more than worth the read. I'll have to try some more.

Thanks.

GunRights4US said...

It takes guts to stand up and say among conservatives that the Constitution was a "dead letter" in 1865.

I admire that.

And btw... he was correct.