Thursday, November 11, 2010

Laugh at the State? A shocking proposal!

While typing the previous post, I got a message from Commenter S with a link from the Lew Rockwell blog, which I confess I don't spend a lot of time with:
Earlier this year I was on a panel (discussed here) with Hoppe and DiLorenzo. In response to a question about the prospects for liberty, I noted the importance of economic literacy, in part to deflate the mistaken belief on the part of decent people that the state is necessary and legitimate. Without the tacit support of the state’s legitimacy, it could not exist. And this is why it is important to laugh at the state. Hoppe agreed, saying he has actually considered featuring a libertarian comedian at an upcoming event, and DiLorenzo explained that one reason he often mocks the state and its media cheerleaders is for this very purpose—he gave the example of ridiculing Rachel Maddow in a recent LRC post where he referred to her getting her “panties in a knot.” We need to show these people as buffoons and clowns and to make people take them less seriously.
Laugh at the state? Why, that would be wrong! I can't imagine anyone doing that!

Of course I've always thought a key to effective humor is a willingness to laugh at yourself as well, something I've a hard time imagining from the LRC crowd. But hey. "Panties in a bunch" is a good start. I suppose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've always thought a key to effective humor is a willingness to laugh at yourself as well, something I've a hard time imagining from the LRC crowd."

You might be surprised. Take a look at Bob Murphy's video promoting a debate with Paul Krugman. Yeah, it's economics, but the characters have some pretty good lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFXRFlvE3s

LRC's blog linked this one. They didn't write it, but I thought it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE


-S

Uncle_Bill said...

I like the British version: "Don't get your knickers in a knot." It has nice alliteration.

Phssthpok said...

Knickers in a twist
Tighties in a bind
Undies in a bunch
Boxers in a wad

Did I miss any?