Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nice weather for it, though.

Lord, it's been gorgeous lately.  It was up in the mid-seventies the past two days, and the weather report promises it'll keep coming.  Down around freezing every night, but really nice by nine or so.

Been piddling with a bunch of little things.  Put in a couple of light switches in the Lair's loft, because it turns out the lamps I scavenged from an RV - which I wanted because they have their own switches - don't fit in a standard light box.  But even so, though the lamps I'm currently using aren't exactly - um - still, when I hit the switch everything lights up.  I'll spare you pictures.  Anyway, now I've got to scrounge a bunch of other lamps!  Bother.

I'm filling the last of the pipe trench at the foot of the cistern - last year we didn't do that, thinking it'd be all right if we drained the cistern at the lair, and ended up with a bunch of busted pipes anyway.  Since there's quite a cats-cradle of pipes and valves right there, I made a couple of access boxes out of 6" PVC that M scrounged from somewhere.  Still have to build one wooden box for a more complex structure, but most of the shoveling is done.

We'll still tackling one old-tractor problem after another with HPAV Gulchendiggensmoothen - so far the ol' thing hasn't done a single useful thing except piling some manure at J&H's.  Last weekend M sent up new radiator hoses with Landlady, and I've got them installed now.  Still waiting for a couple of new fuel lines, though.

And finally, I'm a little stuck on the generator's problems.  I got the carburetor off without hassle, but it's this weird asian thing and if I ever knew how to take off the float bowl I must have forgotten.  I'm pretty sure the only problem with it is a misaligned needle & seat, which will be simplicity itself to fix but only if I can get the bowl off.  Maybe M remembers how.  One of us had better, because he's gonna want it for running the cement mixer this weekend and it sure ain't gonna run the way it is.

A gulcher's life for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,

As an armchair gulcher I require the occasional update of all the daily things you contend with, such as the inverter, Gulchendiggensmoothen, Paolo and all.

Thanks!