Friday, November 5, 2010

Off-Grid Electricity on the Cheap


When I decided to build the Secret Lair, I had a series of problems to overcome. They all had to do with Money: Lack Of.

As much as possible of the Lair is built with salvaged material: All the dimensional lumber, windows, wood stove, appliances, most of the plumbing, almost all the electrical. In fact, early plans didn't call for running water or electrical at all, because I didn't think I'd have access to water or enough electrical components. M kindly let me plug into his water supply and a friend with a backhoe trenched all the way down the ridge, so that meant I got a shower and a flush toilet just like a civilized person. But the electrical: Well, there I got lucky with scrounging. My current electrical system is about as simple as a solar electric system can be, so it's a pretty good case study in how a very basic system is constructed.


As you can see, I've still got some carpentry in my future. The panels will soon be mounted on a home-made rack. The process starts with the solar panels. I've got six small panels rated at 48 watts each. They're very old so I doubt they can really crank out that much. But in total, I can probably count on about 250 watts, which is enough for my use. One thing I've learned over the past four years is that I actually use relatively little electricity: Really just lights, my laptop, and an occasional power tool. I don't need power for water pressure, and the well pump has its own power source. But for a normal household, this wouldn't be enough. Needless to say, the Secret Lair does not have electric kitchen appliances in its future. Wired together, the panels produce about 18 volts.


The power from the panels goes to a charge controller. The controller regulates the power that goes to the batteries. The batteries (I'll eventually have four) are wired in parallel, so that the output voltage is roughly 12 volts - actually more like 13-14. Again, carpentry: I've got to get these under cover before it starts to snow.


Power from the batteries goes inside to the inverter. This is a 1500-watt auto/RV inverter, and one day I'll almost certainly replace it with a bigger one because 1500 watts isn't enough to run tools like a circular saw. Bother. But it's more than enough for common household appliances.

The inverter has its own internal protection against short circuits and such, so the breaker panel is probably redundant. But still - izza house. You want a breaker panel. This one's got four breakers, which is ludicrously overspecced for my 200 sq. ft. lair. But it was free. All this stuff will eventually be covered up by the kitchen counter.

One thing Landlady and T learned to their grief: The balance between the power output of the solar panels and the storage capacity of the battery bank is very important. You're actually better off with a battery bank that's too small than one that's too big. Lead-acid batteries must be fully charged much of the time, or they will lose capacity and gradually just stop working. Big storage batteries are tragically expensive, and it's a truism around here that you always kill your first bank of them by making mistakes that in hindsight seem fairly obvious.

When in doubt, go bigger on the solar panel array and/or smaller on the battery bank. If your batteries aren't fully charged by early afternoon on a sunny day, you've got too much battery or not enough solar. Ideally, you should have enough battery capacity to power your needs for two days without sun, and enough solar power to charge the whole bank by early afternoon of a sunny day. With that in hand, you won't go too far wrong.

And that's it, really. Obviously, a proper solar electrical system is rather more complex than this, but not in concept. It's also far, far more expensive. ;^)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The batteries (I'll eventually have four) are wired in series, so that the output voltage is roughly 12 volts - actually more like 13-14. "

I think you mean parallel instead of series?

Joel said...

Doh! Brain fart. Fixed.

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

Joel - I have a few questions if you don't mind. I realise that the things I'm going to bring up aren't wholly necessary to living - but they sure make matters a lot more convenient.

The things I'm wondering about are:
Refrigeration/cooling for foodstuffs.
Cooking.
Hot/warm water.

You've done some scavenging from RVs - are you considering a propane/DC fridge?

Rangetop cooking isn't too hard - but what about oven-type cooking? Can your electrical system handle a toaster/oven appliance? I recall that you make your own bread - how do you plan on handling that? I've seen some pretty nice dutch oven set-ups - and that combined with a horno can certainly do the job - but it does involve a lot of running in and out.

Finally - nothing says 'civilised' like having hot water at the turn of a tap! You've got plenty of roof space for the solar side of things - and an old water heater can be retro'd in different ways to store/deliver the warmed water. Of course - too - there's the outdoor solar shower! I guess propane is an option - either with a conventional water heater - or even an RV water heater - but I'm betting you're probably not too fond of running into Mankato every couple of weeks to fill propane cylinders!

Adventures in Self Reliance said...

You have motivated me to do my own solar set up. I'll be starting with my old RV and moving on to the shop then house if the world does not blow up. LOL

Joel said...

I have a propane fridge. Needs a little reconditioning before installation. Because my fridge has always been a problem, I've pretty much learned to live without refrigeration. It's an awfully nice luxury, though.

Ditto with the oven. I've got a nice one that's been buried in Landlady's barn for a couple of years. Once I've got a kitchen counter, both those will go in.

If there's an alternative to propane for refrigeration and cooking, I haven't found it. Cooking with wood...I tried it and decided I'm not quite that rustic. I do want to get a durable propane grill for my summer kitchen, as well. I can cook for months on five gallons of propane, but other applications like heating use more than I consider economical. Once I move I'll use propane heat only for backup.

The bread maker is an open question. I won't know if I've got that much power till I try it. If I don't, I'll start working on more batteries and solar panels. I don't want to go back to spending half a day on two loaves of bread.

Hot water is an interesting issue. Definitely want that, definitely laid pipe for it in the cabin, but it's not a top priority. I have access to a couple of RV propane water heaters, but honestly I hate those. Too much propane, not enough hot water. In the spring - if I can get enough pipe - I'm going to see how practical passive solar is.

lewlew said...

It wouldn't be doable all year long, but solar ovens can do a nice job in cooking food. Have you ever tried one?

Thank you for sharing so honestly about your experiences. Your posts are both interesting and super informative.

Douglas2 said...

Hmm. This last series of posts has led me to ponder an electric "power-washer" with a burned-out motor that I stashed in order to scavenge useful parts.
The centifrugal turbine can surely be run with reverse flow of water, and the shaft used to drive an alternator.
If I'm going to be drawing water anyway, it's not wateful to retrieve some of it's excess potential energy...

Joe in Reno said...

Don't forget to make sure the bottom of the solar panels are above the maximum snow depth.

The story... There is a place NW of Vegas called Mt Charleston. Years ago I worked for the US Forest Service. They had this great idea to put a solar powered radio repeater on top of this 13000 ft mountain. All the local EMS threw a bunch of money at it. Not a bad idea in itself. Guess where they mounted the solar cell panels...yep...on the ground, on the peak of a mountain that gets 10-20 feet of snow on it. So every January the batteries went dead and the repeater died 'cause you know they call them solar cells for a reason! It took them a couple of years to figure this out. The solution? Mount the panels on a tower or some such?? Noooo.... Hire a helicopter (for a gawd awful amount of money) on a bright sunny day and airlift a couple of guys with shovels to try and dig it out. After every snow storm...all winter long.

Anonymous said...

Douglas2,

A power washer pump won't work very well for what you describe.

Get the book "Pumps as Turbines"
http://amzn.to/b0E4qL

Good info in there.

-S

Big Wooly said...

Joel, I noticed in reading back thru your old posts that you were going to use old clothing for some of your insulation. Did you think about maybe sprinkling some borax on the cloth to make them more varmint proof? Bugs are pretty normal out this way, maybe they aren't such an issue in the desert.

Joel said...

I didn't worry about it, BW, because while we certainly have bugs in the summer there's never been a problem with them in the walls.

Mice, on the other hand...But that will end when Click moves in.

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

Thanks, Joel. Not that I doubted you - but it sounds like you've got most of your bases covered and at least have a good idea what your options are with the less definite ones.

By the way - what are you planning on sheathing that home with?

Do you already have your woodstove? Price can be a major factor with those - but a good one is well worth it in the long run. A cheap one will heat up a place quick but the warmth won't last til morning. It's not just you that's affected by this - but things like your water pipes too.

Some of the woodstove manufacturers have some really good deals on their factory seconds (cosmetic defects only). My last woodstove was such - it's a soapstone with secondary burn chamber (vs catalytic style). The cost was about 1/2 of the usual and I still can't tell what the defect is. Best of all - you can load it up at night without driving yourself out of the house - and it's still warm in the morning - worth every penny!

For hot water I've had pretty good results in the past just using a conventional gas water heater and using the pilot to keep the tank warm and only using the burner when hot water was needed - kept the cost down and it wasn't very inconvenient. Even had the water heater outdoors in some cases with a southern exposure. In the desert SW this can work well - probably not good at all anywhere the winters are harsh.

Never liked gas ovens - but definitely like a gas range!

I like seeing what you've done with this, Joel. I've seen some elaborate and costly whole house photovoltaic systems - with various levels of satisfaction among owners - but you've cobbled together something that's straightforward and approachable for someone who's reasonably handy.

Adventures in Self Reliance said...

I don't know if it will help but Sportsman guide has a 2000 watt inverter fo $130.00 and a tankless propane water heater for 120.00. I know that MotherEarth news has some plans for a Solar water heater made out of old water heaters as well.
As you can see I'm in research mode for items to get/buy.