Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gotta eat a little crow here...

I still think the cop acted like a jackass, don't get me wrong. But if I'm gonna rant it would probably be best if I know what I'm talking about...

I went to visit the shop I ranted about the other day, and my estimation of how much damage a woman in a large pickup can do to a shop rack with a small head start was ... more modest than reality reveals. She really slammed that sucker, and it's no wonder the other truck (a VERY expensive custom F-350) came off the rack. She damned near uprooted one of the two main supports. I'd wondered how the truck that fell could have done so sideways, into the next stall. Physics didn't seem to permit that from an above-ground hoist. But pretty clearly she was virtually under the other truck when it fell. So she was more at fault than I envisioned when I wrote my rant of day before yesterday. But the cop was still a dick about it.

While there I met the custom truck's owner, and while his truck was only (badly) damaged and not totalled, he was quite calm and constructive about the whole thing. Unlike the cop.

Whose name I was not able to acquire. The owner was clearly tired of talking about the incident. We're acquainted but not on a first-name basis, and he wasn't interested in talking to me about the cop.

2 comments:

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Thanks for the clarification, Joel. I'm not sure it changes much of substance, but getting closer to the truth is never a bad thing.

I know that my own father once drove straight through his garage door, simply because he had an instantaneous mental short-circuit and jammed the wrong pedal at the wrong time. Does this somehow prove him an incompetent driver? Of course not. It's still hard to believe just how fast he managed to correct the mistake and get back on the brake; by "through" the garage door, I mean he dented it by about three feet before he came to a stop. But man, was he pissed at himself for that. Whoo! Which pretty much concluded the issue for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

There are two side to EVERY story. I'm having a hard time imagining a story from the cop that would change his status as major league a-hole, but it's possible.

-S