Thursday, February 17, 2011

That's the ticket. Let the other guy act like a dick.

Saw this on Unc:
[at a TFA meeting] I met an very agitated man (30-40ish, thin build, receding hairline, long, stringy dark hair, glasses) at the front door. I wondered why he rather snarled at me as we passed in the entryway…Shortly thereafter, I heard him loudly “discussing” things with the woman at the counter, complaining about not being given his money back. I went my merry way & enjoyed a nice supper, good company, & an interesting discussion from you & Bob, as well as the comments from the floor. However, I also noticed this guy back & forth at the front, in & out of the building, & finally, filling a couple of to-go boxes.

I asked one of the women at the front what his problem was. She said he was upset that “some people”were wearing guns in the restaurant. He’d complained to her, & demanded that she call the police. She told him that we were regulars, there was nothing wrong, & that even if the police were called, they would show up & be wearing guns, too, & asked if that would further upset him!
The one and only incident I ever had with somebody objecting to my OC pistol, I just smiled distantly and nodded until he went away. The two check-out ladies who got to sit in on the brief incident had things to say about HIS manners, but not mine.

Normalization takes time. Sometimes I think the worst way to accomplish it, when there's no actual law but only tradition to overturn, is to be an "activist" about it. Just act like you're be normal.

No comments: