Monday, April 11, 2011

"An Armed Society..."

Here's an article I wrote in the Libertarian Enterprise about nine years ago, concerning incidents that happened years before that. Maybe you'll enjoy it.
Aware that I was trespassing, that I was shabby and completely out of place, I began to retreat. But one man approached and asked if he could help me. He didn't ask it in the usual way that really means, "what are you doing here?" He asked it as if he might actually be willing to help if the request were reasonable. I said I had just followed the sound of the guns, and he asked if I wanted to join them. The suggestion was ridiculous to me, but he was serious. He offered me the loan of a shotgun. I recognized the gun from my reading on such things. It was worth more than my car.

5 comments:

John Venlet said...

Joel, great story.

Ya know, the complete Heinlein quote reads, "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

Which is why I say "Got manners?," which fits very well with your statement "An armed society is a friendly society. The people there can afford to be friendly, because they have nothing to fear from each other."

Scott McCray said...

I did enjoy it - thank you.

Anonymous said...

I did too. Thanks, it's the way things should be.

Brass said...

Bravo. Friendliness is what gunnies are about.

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Thank you for that, Joel. Read and spread.