Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chew it slowly! This is the good stuff.


I've been spending the morning, off and on, trying to bring some order to the very messy pantry.

I needed to swap lids on a bunch of pails, and I hate dealing with the lids. About half our pails have spin-on lids, which means they really need to be reserved for the pails we actually get into from time to time. There's about seventy pounds of wheatberries and unground corn and I don't know if we'll ever use that at all. What's the point of spending expensive spinner tops on it? Besides, Landlady brought me a bunch of food that needs to be properly stored before I can use it, because once you've opened the sack you're committed to something. I've got fifty pounds of good oatmeal here, and it's been mocking me. Now - and this is really the good stuff - I can eat it!

The whole thing just needs to be straightened up, inventoried, and checked for damage. For example, here and there we've got more pinto beans than any group of sane people could ever want to eat, yet I just bought more. Ditto white rice, some of which is fifteen years old. That needs to get eaten. There's beef-flavored TVP I didn't even know we had. 25 pounds of salt that'll last forever, but its sack is deteriorating and leaking: That needs a pail. How in the hell did we end up with almost a hundred pounds of sugar? Labels have fallen off or were never there: Twenty pounds of good brown rice were labeled "Flour" in big red letters.

I'm not very organized.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Ha. Sounds about like my pantry. I've only got abouyt 100lbs of pinto beans on hand though, will have to pick up some more.

Claire said...

Heh. You have a lot of that crap because I brought it then couldn't fit it in the trailer when I moved away.

Wheat berries. Corn. At least half those pinto beans. Six-gallon pail of sugar. Humongeous sack of salt. Not to mention those grocery-store canned goods now long past their sell-by dates.

Question is: Curse me or thank me?

Joel said...

Oh, it's definitely "thank," Claire. Food is one of those things where more is always better, especially when you don't know when your next paycheck or opportunity to visit a store is coming. And a lot of those canned goods flavored many a pot of beans this past winter. No complaints here.

It seems, though, as I straighten things out, that some of the cans are more than just past their sell-by date, they're bulging and leaking. And I will confess that when I opened a tub and found yet another forty pounds of pinto beans, well...

Jeffersonian said...

"Stygian, the best!"

Joel said...

Well, now I know that at least one person out there got it.