Thursday, June 30, 2011

I don't know what got me thinking about this.

Back in the late 'seventies I read Mel Tappan's Survival Guns till my copy fell apart. I didn't buy everything in it - Tappan's idea of a "basic survival battery" would have broken the axles of an F-350 and backed up the workload of every premium gun customizer ever featured in Guns & Ammo well into the next century - but I'd be lying if I said I didn't hang on every word he ever wrote. Hey, I was young.

One thing that always struck me as odd about Tappan was that we never saw his picture. Gun writers tend to be the sort of people who love to have their pictures published - I knew what they all looked like, but not Tappan. But I figured maybe it was a survivalist thing.

Anyway, back then I attended a shooting/survivalism school in Missouri several times. During one of my early stays I guess I quoted Tappan's opinion about this or that maybe a hundred too many times and got on the instructor's nerves. He took me aside and said something like, "Look, I know Mel Tappan. He knows a lot about guns, he shoots a lot of guns and he's a good writer. But every story he ever told about something he did, he either made up or got from somebody else. He couldn't have done any of those things, because he lives in a wheelchair. So don't get too wound up about Mel Tappan."

That came as quite a surprise at the time. I didn't have any way to check the story (this was WAY pre-Internet), and eventually moved on and sort of forgot the whole thing - including Tappan. Tappan died a few years later, fairly young and apparently of long-standing health problems, and that seemed to verify what my instructor had said.

For some reason I just now got to wondering about it. I did what anyone in need of deep, incisive research does, I went to Wikipedia.
Tappan spent the last years of his own life using a wheelchair, after initially incurring a severe foot laceration from a broken drinking glass in his swimming pool and then developing debilitating leg failure, due in part to the obesity developed during his convalescence from the laceration. This eventually led to congestive heart failure.
Whatever grain of truth this story may hold, it sounds like bullshit to me. A far-gone survivalist guru lets his whole body fall apart and die because he cuts his foot? How long does it take to get so obese that it threatens your life, and how long does it take to kill you? I'm guessing decades, not years. I got my foot cut off, and I'm in better shape than that.

Several search terms brought me absolutely no further information. And now it's kinda bothering me. Anybody out there know the real story? I know at least parts of Tappan's claims were bullshit, that's fairly obvious. And it really doesn't matter. But I'd like to know just how much I was being conned, back in my twenties.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know him personally. My dad met him at some gun show or another when we had a property that dad bought for our never to be realized retreat in The Dalles. I did see him a couple times when we were in Oregon. I don't remember where exactly, Kalamath Falls or somewhere. He was in a chair, which struck me.
A hard core survivalist in a wheelchair? Huh?
He wasn't at all fat as I recall. Not remotely. It occurs to me he died shortly after that. Maybe he had just deteriorated and lost the weight like sick people do.

I never read Survival Guns. That was dads influence. He and Tappan didn't agree being as Dad figured all one needed was a Garand (of course then when one has modernized the better and more worthy successor thereof), an M1 Carbine, a Winchester 97 12 gauge and a 10/22 and a 1911. I don't know that I needed dads opion to form my own, however.

Any book that says a $13,000 Perazzi over under is a survival necessity tells me all I need to know.

Nope, never actually met Tappan but I think from what I have heard and what little I've seen, he was mostly full of shit for promotional purposes with some facts laced in here and there.


Buck.

Carl "Bear" Bussjaeger said...

I'm probably going to hell for this, but...

Obviously the guy used a tactical wheelchair. And a tactical wheelbarrow to haul his suggestions around.

Brass said...

If he was crippled, not all his ideas were. Take the good, leave the rest. Crippled old (and young) men have done much for liberty throughout the millenia.

Anonymous said...

Wait, Carl........ Mel Tappan was Gunkid? The Horror.

Bob B. said...

last i heard Tappans wife was still alive, and paladin press had the rights to his books. i seem to remember Jim Rawles getting in touch with her.

Tam said...

Having now spent nigh on twenty years in the gun industry myself, I look back at some of the people who were absolute gurus to 18-y.o. Tamara, and I flat frickin' cringe.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brass above. Take the good, forget the bad, and call it a day. I read that book too, and though I disagreed you NEEDED all that to survive an economic upheaval, I did appreciate the points made about how some guns were better than others in certain applications. He was the only one at the time who wrote of combination guns and air rifles.

Mom's family of 12 had three guns that kept them in protein during the Great Depression. A Mossberg .22 bolt, SMLE .303 bolt rifle and a single shot 12 gauge. Nobody starved to death, but people got hungry occassionally.