Thursday, June 30, 2011

YEEEAAAAARGH!!!


Finally, der tag! I was completely ready to set the toilet in place. A flush toilet of my very own. How I've dreamed of this day.

I had everything I needed: The fittings, the hose, the tools, the wax ring. I forgot NOTHING! A red letter day.

I hauled the new (used) toilet to the Lair. Went over all the plumbing. Cleaned up the old wax. Drained the cabin. Set the throne in place. Bolted it down. Cut the pipe to length. Everything went perfectly! Went to retrieve the PVC glue.

Which was completely coagulated in the can. Foiled again! But wait: There must be more around here somewhere. I searched the Meadow House high and low: I KNOW there's glue here! Can't find it anywhere. I know it's here! I used it myself, not so long ago! Searched the shop in the barn: AHA! Gotcha!

Dried out.

Sigh. M's due here middle of tomorrow, maybe he can bring some up. This sucks.

ETA: I just actually looked at the photo I posted. If you're wondering why the toilet is so ludicrously off-center, it's because Uncle Murphy put a floor joist in EXACTLY the wrong place.

6 comments:

CorbinKale said...

During my first few toilet installations, the thing that kept biting me in the ass was the lid for the tank. Seems like no matter how I measured, the tank always ended up too close to the wall for the lid to fit on without that damned wall getting in the way.

From this angle, it looks like you might have that same issue.

Joel said...

One of the nice things about a stilt house is that it's so easy to fix when you do that.

Which is another way of saying I already made that mistake and fixed it.

In fact of the three toilets we've installed here, three of them had that problem. With the other two the plumbing was encased in concrete. Those bathrooms have some very innovative walls.

Anonymous said...

"If you're wondering why the toilet is so ludicrously off-center, it's because Uncle Murphy put a floor joist in EXACTLY the wrong place. "
No, no, it's intentional so that you can put a little corner bookcase in that corner behind it for reading material and TP and such. Very clever methinks!

Joel said...

Yup, that's it. My first comment was in error.

KurtP said...

Ummmm...is that your final floor covering?
I can't tell from here but it kind of looks like OSB and if you put the finish floor over it, the wax ring and flange will be too low.





WV=inglu

Joel said...

It is OSB. But the flange and toilet currently sit too high - deliberately, for once.

I'll have to remove the toilet and replace the wax ring when I (or my descendants) get around the final floor.