Sunday, July 31, 2011

And that's more-or-less what the kitchen will look like.


Sink under the window. The corner cabinet will have one big door on a piano hinge, so I can get at the electrical when I need to. Stove to the right of the stub counter.

There won't be a fridge, unfortunately - at least not indoors. There simply isn't room. Maybe in the pantry shed, when I get around to building it. I've pretty much gotten used to living without refrigeration, though it's nice. I have NOT gotten used to living without running water. Trust a guy who's been without it for seven months now: That's one of those luxuries that's so much an improvement it may as well be a necessity.

There's just enough room to the left of the counter for a 3-foot roll-top desk and my big chair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen-to-be looks great Joel.

May I suggest that you treat the plywood before you paint it?
Nearly any watersealer will be a great help in resisting damage from any leak of water that you might have.

I am supporting myself with apartment maintenance and a lot of what I do is replace wood that has rotted away due to not being treated when new.

Just thinking out loud over here ...

gooch

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Maybe you could consider a small countertop refrigerator for just a few necessities.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-Decker-2.7-cu-ft-Refrigerator-with-Freezer-Black/15715125

Joel said...

My first reaction, as to any electrical appliance whatever, is that I don't have enough juice to run it. Unlike a lamp or a power tool, a reefer runs 24/7 and that's anathema to a borderline, built-from-junk-lying-around solar power system like mine.

Having said that, it may be possible. I don't know if my arithmetic is up to determining how many actual amps are in 325 Kilowatt/hours per year, but the figure I get is a touch over .3. A third of an amp is doable, so that's actually a pretty good suggestion. I like electric refrigerators because propane reefers are a maintenance and fuel headache in this environment. Pilot jets hate dust, and pilot lights hate wind, and we've got lots of both. I hate buying propane.

Anonymous said...

You could just unplug it overnight and only run it during peak input hours to get it cold enough to maintain overnight. That's what we do if we're low on batteries or the backup gen isn't working.

Joel said...

I'd have to put it on a timer to prevent my inevitable constant forgetting, but yeah. I could do that.