Monday, July 18, 2011

Holy Mixed Feelings, Batman.

I'd heard they were in trouble, but didn't know one of the great love/hate objects of my life is almost officially dead.

Borders' Seeks Approval To Liquidate

When Borders and B&N stores started opening everywhere, I rejoiced that these great book palaces were becoming popular when the sort of bookstores I grew up with had pretty much all withered away. And I spent many happy hours in them, browsing and writing and drinking coffee. But it did seem to me that their actual inventories were pretty limited, and they dedicated an awful lot of floor space to tchotchkes, coffee table books and other junk. If I really wanted a particular book I generally had to order it, and their on-line inventory was not very good. Hell, they wouldn't even order Claire books. If I have to do so much of my business with them by special-order, I'm better off at Amazon - that'll definitely have what I want.

I dunno. They always struck me as a good idea badly done. But the book palaces are still one of the things I miss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the book stores, but not their prices. Even our small town stores are closing up around here. The economics of it just don't make sense anymore.

Amazon and their network of booksellers makes it easy to find any book at a reasonable price within seconds of thinking about it. There's no way a brick and mortar store can compete with that.

Matt said...

LibertyNews is correct. The brick and mortar stores are dying becauses the business environment has changed. It is easier and quicker to purchas books (paper and electronic) from Amazon or other online retailer. My local book store (hastings) hangs on because they do a brisk business in used books. If I want a new title, or something not 100% mainstream I have to find it in their electroinic catalog and then order it. For this pleasure I get to deal with their poorly trained, ill-mannered staff.

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda jumbled about this too. I hated Borders prices. Their in store selection seemed all pop culture, yuppie, weird new age, Oprah book of the month.
It was like the top 40 in print. It all seemed so pretentious too me. I dunno, coffee house faux intellectual somehow. I just always felt like I was being judged.
On the other hand, I do like to handle the merchandise. I am vexed by looking something up on Amazon and not being able to test drive it in person so to speak.
I guess I just establish a relationship with the literature by handling it.
There will be no books stores around after the Borders off the freeway and Oso goes down. I hate the libraries anymore. They have become de facto day care centers for people who have too many jobs, too kids and no money.
I guess I'll miss it. But then again Amazon is cheaper and I can have anything I want without the silly attitudes I got from the junior college wannabe hippie types they tend to hire.

Buck.

Anonymous said...

Too
to
two......
Grrrrr.........



Buck.