Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Linin' up some work.

Got a call from my neighbor D, wanting to know if I'm ready to hang the Lair's kitchen cabinets. Fact is I've been ready for a couple of days, but I have had a problem. I've developed - Yes! Yet Another Phobia!

This is actually a good phobia, though before this morning it was getting in my way. I get nuts whenever I owe somebody money, and I owed D 88 bucks. He picked up some finishing stuff and additional lumber for me last week, I wildly underestimated the cost, and couldn't pay him back right away. He wanted to take it out in trade, but that meant having him carry me until I could do whatever deed he wanted and I can't handle that. I can't handle it because I need his help with the cabinets, but I CAN'T BRING MYSELF to ask additional favors of somebody I already owe money. So, you see, before I could make any further progress on the kitchen I had to pay D back the money I owed him.

Fortunately, this morning I finally got paid for two weeks of shit-shoveling and that put me over the top. D is all hot to get'er done, and he's meeting me at the lair this afternoon. So that's cool. Pix to follow.

I've also got a couple of additional gigs coming up. It's coming on wood-cutting season, and some neighbors want a bunch of juniper. It's also time to start cutting my own, of course, and I've got my chainsaw in the shop for servicing and a couple of new chains. So that'll help pay for the saw work - excellent timing! Probably start that next week or the week after, plus my other neighbor H is getting a trailerload of alfalfa for her horses and wants to hire me to help stack it in their storage container. That's probably going to be a deeply unpleasant gig, but it's cash.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly understand your desire not to owe anyone money, but I think you're overlooking a very important consideration. In your community, you seem to be the go-to guy. If anyone needs anything, you're there. The neighbors who aren't there full time are assured of the well being of their homes and stuff because you're there. If shit needs shoveling or wood cutting or hay shaving or bear routing, you're there. That is a huge measure of security for all your neighbors and has a great deal of value - much more value than $88 on loan for a few days. Your neighbors couldn't afford to pay the cost of the services you provide and I'm sure that any of them would agree that you are an invaluable asset.

Don't make it sound like you're the bum on the corner begging for handouts, when, in fact, you are probably the single most stabilizing element in your gulch community! [/rant]

suek said...

You have _good_ hay hooks, right?

The cheapie ones will really do a job on you if you think you have them set, lean back on them and then have them pull out...