Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Okay. This takes class.



I know - I've got readers who always complain that they can't download videos. Go someplace where you can and watch this. Do not take a mouthful of coffee before you hit Play. NSFW, BTW. I'm still chortling - and yes, I'm gonna burn in hell.

I can't watch it without thinking of the one time I came close to an "I just [bleep]ing shot myself" moment. For a second there I genuinely thought I had. (the bullet hit a rock, the rock hit my foot. It was many, many years ago.) Yes, my finger was where it doesn't belong, but that's very easy to do during holster drills, which is one reason for drills in the first place and is why Tam is always harping about not fiddling with the thing while it's in the frickin' holster.

I would NOT have made this video, nor consented to its existence. It requires a level of class I do not possess. If the video was made without the consent of Mr. "I just [bleep]ing shot myself," that also requires a level of class ... I do not possess. Which doesn't make it any less funny, alas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was sort of funny but gunshot wounds really aren't very funny. That kind of took some of the humor away for me. The guy does have class and has posted another you tube video explaining what happened.

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Oh, I'll probably rot as well, but could not help laughing. Totally agreed about the "level of class", too. (Compared to, say, Lee Paige!)

See, in a sane society, this would just be funny, and a useful and sobering reminder that the Four Rules are actually more about saving you when you get off the square range; away from the well-lit, high-contrast training environment; when you're not well-rested and thinking about safe technique.

I've been lucky so far. I don't have any actual negligent discharges in my life, but I can recall two episodes that I wish like hell I didn't have to admit were me.

Matt said...

Is the lesson from the full length video something like, "Don't use a holster that is smarter than you are?" Maybe, "Don't keep switching high tech holster designs, find one that works and replicate across all carry guns?"

Hard not to think that with a simple thumb break, or open top hoslter the ND could of been avoided.

Joel said...

Haven't looked for the longer video, and probably won't. If it's about a positive-retention holster, yeah, there have been safety concerns about those. A neighbor has one, and I don't like it.

Concerning NDs, KW, I personally believe there's only two kinds of shooters: Those that have and those that will. But I recognize that's not an orthodox opinion. Extra fail points for doing it during a demonstration of how you're the only one professional enough to handle a gun. 8^D

Anonymous said...

I knew a guy who shot himself (no worry, happy ending). He was carrying a Ruger .22 auto and was doing some plinking. For some reason, he did not have a holster and was inserting the gun into his rear wallet pocket. Only he forgot to remove his finger from the trigger. AND he forgot to put it on safety.

Bullet traveled through hamstring and exited behind his knee, purely meat, no bone hit. He went to a physician friend who fixed him up without any hospital / doctor office visit. Felt very stupid - and he freely admitted he made a very stupid error.