Sunday, August 14, 2011

So I'm sitting in the scriptorium...

Doing a quick catch-up on what's happening with the world before I head on down to the Lair. A movement flickers in the left corner of my eye and I turn just in time to see something tiny and gray-brown disappear at the other side of the wall.

A few seconds later a tiny field mouse, apparently having decided it made a mistake in moving away from the open door, re-appears. It stands staring at me for several seconds - they never seem to blink - as if wondering if it dares move the one foot closer to me it needs to come before it can make a break for the door.

They're cute little things, and truth be told I hate seeing them hurt. But they're almost as destructive as their larger cousins and it behooves me to see them dead on every possible occasion as a warning to their thousands of brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and what-have-you. But all I really want is for them to stay away, so I remained still until this one worked up the nerve to do the right thing. It scampered off through the door and vanished.

There's a big squirrel living under the pallet on which rests part of the pantry that still resides in the wilder part of the barn, and since the dogs can never reach it I'm afraid I'll have to take firmer measures. I'm constrained by the fact that Click has also gotten into the act, but since she usually ignores peanut butter she's probably safe from the T-Rex. I'm just afraid of finding out I'm wrong about that. Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Put the trap into a large enough container to allow it to spring with a small enough hole she can't get her head into and set the trap far enough back she cant get a paw in it.

Failing that; why are you in the desert without a good pellet rifle?


Buck.