Friday, September 9, 2011

End Game, Frequently Interrupted.

There's a project I've had in mind for the Lair for over a year. I kept putting it off. I was a little scared of it, because if I screwed it up I'd ruin some expensive 4X4s. It was always safer to put it off.

I knew I was in the end game yesterday morning, when I just casually did the damned thing. I cut up some 4X4s for the loft railing banisters, cut an angle in the bottom end of each one, then took a drill press and drilled and countersunk the holes for the carriage bolts that'll hold'em up there. Then this afternoon, among other things, I drilled the holes in the loft joists and mounted the banisters. No problem. If I can build a set of kitchen cabinets with a little lot of coaching, I can cut and drill a few boards all by my big-boy self.

Today was supposed to be for building the two kitchen drawers, which I still need to do. But it rained all night (I mean ALL night) and never cleared up at all this morning. By the time I was done with shit-shoveling it was clear the sun might not shine all day long, which put my neighbor D's solar-powered workshop off limits. But that was okay, there was lots to do. I now have all five banisters up on the loft, and the upper kitchen cabinets have their very own electric light with switch. With the banisters up and bolted tight, I can finally finish the tongue-and-groove ceiling under the loft. With the ceiling paneled, I can finally finish the lighting. The point being, a bunch of roadblocks have been passed, and I'm on the last scary mile before I'm actually - after years! - ready to move into the Lair.

No, of course it isn't finished. It may never be finished. There's loads left to do, but nothing that can't be done while I'm in it. And it's all looking so doable now, that all I want to do is do it. Don't care about geiger counters, or wood cutting, or ... well, or any paying gig. And paradoxically right now I've got more paying gigs at one time than I have for years. And I really need to keep those people contented and happy with Uncle Joel or we could go back to the glory and wonder of living on $30/week.

$30/week can be done, and is good for a few fringy bragging rights. In all other senses, it sucks. So I need to get my head out of the cedar and pay attention to my paying gigs.

5 comments:

Groundhog said...

I thought you lived in the friggin dessert? All you write about is how much it rains! My state's burning to the ground and you're getting rain in the dessert! WTF?

Joel said...

Ironic, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Pictures?

Mayberry said...

I'm scared when I try new things, but I just say "to hell with it" and do them anyways. My boat is a prime example, and the launch is doubly so. But it worked out. And if it didn't, there would be a simple fix.

Paying gigs are always good, so long as the pay is worth the time and energy spent. But there is a point where pay/time is not worth the effort expended, and I found that point the first time I had to work 12 hour night shifts for two months straight. Uncle Sugar made out much better on that deal than I did...

Anonymous said...

Your blog is one I look forward to reading everyday (thanks Claire!). I think it's because you are just so...real.