Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Good Day at the Secret Lair

Finally had one of those mornings where I actually accomplish everything on the list.

First I wanted to cut some firewood before it got too hot. This is something I need to be getting myself into the habit of doing. I'm surrounded on all sides by free wood, but it doesn't wish its way into the stove.

Got both layers of underlayment cut for the kitchen counter, plywood and cement board. Now I can lay tile any time I want, though I'll need to con somebody (J, probably - I dropped an unexpected ob on him this morning*) to help me move the generator to the Lair. The Lair's inverter will run any powertool except a circular or table saw, and the tile saw is a table saw. This picture is peeking down at it from the loft.

This may have been my greatest scrounging hour. This is the best design of cast-iron kitchen sink I've ever encountered. I simply can't think of a way to improve the design, and it's all mine. I've been hovering over this one like a broody chicken for two years, lest M wander off with it. I wanted a picture of it in place, but GAWD is it heavy. It's going in that hole once, and once only. I heaved it up to the counter so I could mark the cut, got it down without dropping it, and it'll stay right where it is until after the tile is set.

Yes of course the Lair has a gun rack. More than one. Why do you ask?

* I was busily churning out sawdust this morning when my cell phone rang. My neighbor H's baby horse Comet got himself hung up in a juniper with a bunch of dead limbs. He got himself loose without serious injury and will probably take it as a learning moment, but H got all over her husband J to cut out all that dead wood and neaten up the tree. Now J jointly owns a chainsaw with our mutual neighbor D&L, so he went over there and got the saw. Happens I know all about this saw, because I helped them get it ready for service out of the box and I'm the only one who's ever put any serious hours on it. Anyway, he brought it home, read the instruction manual carefully (No, J isn't what you'd call a chainsaw kinda guy) and proceeded to flood it beyond all hope of starting, by the numbers. Now, since J had insisted on paying half the expense of this not-inexpensive chainsaw last year and has yet to get a moment's benefit from it, he wasn't looking too good in front of the wife. He called me, hoping I could quickly pull his chestnuts out for him. Since I also run a Husky, our sparkplugs were compatible and I swapped them and got his saw running while he cleaned his plug.

I told him, when the saw revs once and dies, that's it trying to tell you it's ready to start: Turn off the choke and start it. The manual seems to have left that step off the numbered starting procedure.

No comments: