Friday, September 16, 2011

"I vividly remember giving this back to you!"

So I said as I handed an expensive four-DVD set back to my neighbor J. He texted me last night about it, and I immediately replied that I had returned it to him a long time ago.

He immediately replied right damn back that no, I had not.

I was extremely certain about this. I was also completely wrong, as I learned when I finally admitted the possibility and went looking for it. Sometimes I mean to do something so firmly that I later remember having done it, even though I never did. Between that and anxiously waiting to learn whether the latest iteration of a writing gig that has not gone well was at last acceptable to a customer, the fact that the Lair's kitchen has sat un-worked-on all week, and a few other things I've let myself get worked up over, I was closer to a panic attack this morning than I've been in many years. None of it was really important, but the accumulation was getting to me.

I even finally got my Lehman's order this afternoon! So I'm feeling better now. Got J back his damned DVDs, got a nice acceptance from the customer (a massive monkey off my back,) got a few other little jobs done here and there. Still haven't gotten the kitchen worked on, though.

3 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Band of Brothers? The Pacific? Lord of the Ring-a-dings?

MamaLiberty said...

Very slowly I'm learning not to make those "I did it already" statements at all. I'm usually right, because I tend to do things immediately simply because I fear I will forget.

But there are days...

Anonymous said...

Man, Joel, those "other people" things are bad for your mental health.

Avoid at all costs.