Friday, October 14, 2011

A couple of pieces of good news...


Weekend before last, Landlady moved a full-size refrigerator into The Meadow House. I promised to take the little fridge she'd been using out to the barn, but asked if she'd mind if I tried something at the Lair first.

The Lair's solar panels and batteries are all scrounged, and I have no faith in them. The Lair also has half a dozen kerosene lamps, though the few times it's been tried the electric lights have gotten through an evening/morning just fine. I wanted to torture-test the system with a load that would go through the night, so I dragged her little fridge out to the Lair, plugged it in and left it there overnight. To my pleased surprise, it was still working when I went out there after shit-shoveling. Which means my thoughts about getting myself a little dorm fridge aren't as outrageous as I feared they might be.

After re-loading the fridge into the Jeep, I drove to M's place with my heart in my boots. Yesterday I was moving dirt when the tractor showed signs of running out of fuel. I shut it down as soon as I could find a level spot, filled the tank, and the tractor would not start. Would not try. This was a big surprise, because since M got the injector pump rebuilt Gulchendiggensmoothen has never run so well. Starting it always used to be a big production, but lately it's been starting very well. I hoped it had just run out of fuel at the injectors and needed bleeding, but I didn't have my wrenches with me. So today I brought the wrenches with me. When I tried to bleed the pump, fuel squirted out right away. Not a good sign. But I moved the battery tray out of the way, bled the injectors, and got bubbles out of all three. Then when I cranked it with the fuel lines tight, it started immediately. That's very timely, because tomorrow Landlady's coming up and wants to tear out part of Gitmo. I'd a lot rather move the posts with a backhoe than with a pick and shovel, and now I'm back to believing that'll happen.

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I had a Norcold 12 VDC/110 VAC fridge on my old boat, "college" size. It ran for several days on two group 27 automotive batteries, uncharged (power outage at the marina), with plenty of juice left to fire up the twin Chevy 350s.