Thursday, October 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, but...

I'm either nestbuilding like crazy or just having a materialism backlash. I actually spent several minutes admiring this cute set of bookends...

Got the grout cleaned up, and tomorrow after shit-shoveling I'll try to set the kitchen sink in place without smashing the new tile. That's pretty exciting, but I was almost as happy about how high my firewood pile is getting. Cleaned out the woodstove and laid a new fire, even though it was too warm to actually light it. Spent some time just sitting and admiring.

I've often joked that the longer this cabin-building thing takes, the fancier it gets. But $40 bookends really are going too far.

One thing's for sure: After shivering through last winter in the RV, Landlady's got nothing to fear about me trying to stretch this thing out through another winter. I wanna remember what it's like to look out through a window at winter from someplace warm.

Three things left to do before I can move in: Finish the plumbing, finish the shelves (because Click will want her cat ladder to the loft) put up the front hard fencing so I have a safe place for the boys. And I have to move soon enough that I can meet the deadline for getting the Interim Lair off Landlady's property. That in itself might be quite a trick: What do you do with a horribly clapped-out 25-foot RV trailer? There's talk of Craigslist, but I think you need a registration before you can get a license plate. I've got a neighbor who actually cut a house trailer up with a Sawzall and hauled it to the dump piece-by-piece, but in addition to the work involved I've a feeling the weight fees would make that a very unattractive option. Midnight drop-off at the junkyard? Decisions, decisions...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...can Gulchendiggensmoothen dig a hole the size of a clapped-out 25-foot RV? Might give future archeologists an orgasm when they discover it in a thousand years or two.

Anonymous said...

Three words: scrap-metal dealers. They will come and take anything.

And even given the condition of the trailer, aren't there a few things you'll want to salvage yourself?

Anonymous said...

My neighbor did exactly that with an old, rotting and rodent-infested pick-up camper at his BOL. Backhoe, large hole, fill & forget it. Not the first one he'd buried either. Landlady might take exception, but it is an option.

Joe said...

Around here all you have to do is hang a scrap of cardboard with the word "free" on it and the midnight elves solve my problem.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest your sign read "free FOR THE HAULING" instead.....otherwise you may find a new human tenant in there (that you hadn't planned on) - no matter where it is you "park" it, no matter how bad of shape it's in......

naturegirl (northern NV desert escapee)

Anonymous said...

Fire.









Buck.

Anonymous said...

could you haul it out to the range and use it as a dry ammo shed and/or someplace to shoot out of when it's cold? or is LL pretty adamant about the 'not on the property at all' thing?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a local fire department is willing to burn it down for you as a training oppty for their firefighters. They Plan the burn; protect surrounding 'exposures'; burn; put-it-out; burn; put-it-out; burn to the ground. Make sure they agree to dispose of remains as part of the deal.