Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Abuse of power?" Are you out of your frickin' ...

Chris Dodd, former senatevermin and current prez of the shitheels who wrote SOPA and PIPA in the first place, belches forth his opinion on those who blacked out their sites in protest yesterday...
"It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [these sites] for information and use their services," Dodd wrote. "It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today."
Well, when you want a matter put in perspective you should go to a master of that matter. If he calls it an abuse of power, I guess he'd know one when he sees one.

The would-be solons of the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America have been abusing power so long and so ham-handedly that I have no sympathy for their cause at all, even though I happen to be in strong favor of the concept of intellectual property and think piracy is theft. (Though - full disclosure - I'm hypocritical enough on the subject that my music playlist wouldn't bear a lot of open scrutiny.) They've dealt with the matter so very badly that my attitude is "Screw'em." Give them the power to actually shut down sites? You've got to be kidding. Even though it wouldn't work, and the smack-down from hackers would be very entertaining, that way lies madness.

Truth is, when I wrote yesterday's related screed I didn't know how widespread the blackout protest was, or how much attention it got. Had I done even a tiny bit of due diligence before opening my yap, I'd probably have had sense enough to keep it shut.

H/T to Claire, who got me re-thinking this and who has more and better to say about it. And many thanks to Senator Dodd, for being such a useful asshat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. Dodd.....who almost single handedly wrecked the US economy says abuse of power? Please. Tool.


Buck.

Tam said...

"Chris Dodd likes it" is usually reason enough for me to loathe something, to the point where I'm questioning my tastes in water and oxygen. ;)

Pat H. said...

Chris Dodd is just another, and typical, Yankee thug.

We Southrons have known about them for years.

Now, perhaps others will begin to understand.