Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ow. Migraine.

Intended that this should be a busy morning before it got hot. Then my vision started closing in, as it does a few times a year. Seems like everything goes out of focus. Can't see to read, can barely walk across the Lair. Experience tells me any attempt to hold a conversation will make me look like a complete idiot, and I definitely should not attempt to operate any power tool, weapon or motor vehicle. If I avoid going out in the sun, the effect will pass within about an hour and be followed by a blinding headache that will fade after some interminable length of time.

If I don't avoid going out in the sun, the blurriness/disorientation thing will be accompanied by the blinding headache. So climb in where it's dark and relatively cool, and wait for it to go away.

Fading now, sort of. Ow.

4 comments:

GunRights4US said...

I have had those damn things all my life, and recently I've started to NOT seek darkness and quiet. Instead I've just eqaten a bunch of pain meds and soldiered on. And amazingly enough it hasn't been as unbearable as I thought it would be. Good luck - your mileage may vary.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

All the women in my family suffer migraines. All but my mom get this blurry vision thing as a warning. Mom just gets or rather got the shockwave of pain and hypersensitivity to everything sensory. If she's lucky she makes it to a couch or something before the falling happens.

She has not had one in years, however. Thank God.
One of my sisters could intercept them with ergot if she got the signs and took it early enough.
I have no idea where one gets ergot now.
Moms didn't subside until demerol happened.
Fortunately these things seem, knocking on wood, to have skipped the men in my line.

I get a kick out of people who are sitting there at work or play and suddenly tell you, " This fucking migraine is killing me".
My usual response it to tell them to let me know when the puking and annoyance at how loud the fleas farting is booming in their ears.

Those stupid Excerdin commercials have illegitimately re-defined the term.
I've never known anyone who had actual migraines for whom a little Excedrin did anything positive.

Buck.

Joel said...

Yeah, I've never had any success with OTC painkillers. They work for hangovers but not for migraines.