Sunday, January 25, 2009

More on the "I Pledge" Video...

From the estimable Karen De Coster:


After several emails from people regarding this post, I watched the Hollywood "I Pledge" video again, and it was even more chilling the 2nd time around. Some spots were especially eerie.

- One guy says, "I pledge to represent my country with pride, dignity, and honesty." [You mean like the power brokers and politicians do?]

- At 1:21: "I pledge allegiance to the funk, the united funk of funkadelica." [The intelligence displayed by this 85-IQ, tattooed animal has overwhelmed me.]

- 2:09: The pledge is to use less plastic by using less bottled water. [To the people who live in Malibu - surely you jest???]

- 2:12: To plant more trees (and explain why?], be more green [can we define that?], and use less plastic bags from the grocery store.

- 2:20: Perhaps the best one of all is "to consume less." [Do we really want to compare the consumption of wealthy, Hollywood celebrities to the middle class?]

- 2:24: "Flush only after a deuce, never a single." [Imagine people who worry about other peoples' shit habits.]

- At 1:52 point: [We are told to meet strangers, find out their names, give them a smile, and ask how we can be of service to them. Well, I know plenty of unemployed Detroiters who could use assistance from a wealthy celebrity; oops, the promo is mere pc, fuzzy-and-warm, and, of course, there's only an empty shell to back it all up.]

- The tattooed freak, at the 3:18 point, says "I pledge to be in service of Barack Obama," as he kisses his biceps. [Does this mean you are going to offer your personal wealth as a solution to all the problems of the world this video describes?]

The last 20 seconds of this comes off like a Sovietized Ad Council propaganda piece. It's more chilling than anything the government could put together.


Toward the end the celebs repeatedly demand, "What's your pledge?" On the first viewing I couldn't think of a thing I'd care to add to their horrifying drivel. But on further thought, I do have a pledge to offer them.

I pledge to keep thinking for myself.

No comments: