Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Brrr!

The weather forecast has been unusually accurate for the past couple of weeks, but yesterday it let me down just a bit. It called for rain all day, but the morning was sunny and still if quite a bit colder than before. But in the afternoon it started blowing a gale, as bad as any I've seen. Stuff you'd think would stay decently still starts blowing all over the place when it gets like that. Went to sleep last night with it still howling, though it settled down just a bit late at night.


Woke to snow, wind and very cold, and a dead electrical system which surprised me considering how much sun we've had. The new generator works considerably better than its predecessor, and I had a leisurely breakfast and sit inside. When I came out to the barn, I saw immediately why the batteries were drained; some idiot had left the workshop lights on! Now, who could have done that? I blame Fritz, who is now in complete disgrace.

Yes, he protested. "But Uncle Joel, I can't work the lights! I have no thumbs!" Lying SOB, I know it's him.

Ghost is beside the desk, giving me the eyes and that groan he makes when he wants something bad. I know what he wants, but it's bloody cold! Maybe we'll go for a walk later; I can barely feel my toes as it is. I don't mind the wind, and I can live with the cold. But the cold with the wind makes me want to huddle next to the fire. All week, if necessary.

Ghost, quit with the guilt-tripping! We'll go for a walk later, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say I find it enormously amusing that you protect the dogs' privacy with that blackout strip. I'm sure they appreciate it! :-)

Joel said...

Sunni! My little blog is honored by your presence! Welcome.

Yes, the dogs insist on their anonymity. In fact, Fritz is so taken by his own little black strip that he now wears it wherever he goes and has become far clumsier than ever before.

The cats, on the other hand, refuse to allow their identity to be hidden. They have informed me that they're very proud of who they are. In Butch's case, I'm afraid such vanity is a bit misplaced.