Sunday, February 1, 2009

What a fantastic weekend it's been!

The weather has been perfect, if a little cold in the morning. Yesterday I finished the Ginormous 2X12 Stack, just in time for the landlady's monthly visit. We mostly sat around and shot the shit all afternoon, then went over to the neighbors' and got moderately blasted on wine. Not at all a bad way to spend the day.

She always comes bearing supplies, in this case a couple of cases of canned chicken and salmon, the usual Trader Joe's coffee, and mail packages from friends. My dear old friend (old in the sense that I've known him for 35 years) LR sent me a marvelous gift of a really high-quality digital camera, so I was taking dog pictures all this morning. L wanted the landlady and I to come over this morning for a hike so I made biscuits around seven, landlady and I had a nice breakfast, and then we went through a little rock canyon I'm not familiar with and came out at the top of one of the knobs on the big ridge to the NE of the property. Helluva view, and when we just came out of the canyon there was the most complete petrified tree I've ever seen. Petrified wood is really common here, of course, but mostly it's just shards here and there. This was the whole trunk, broken into chunks but complete for its whole length and in good enough shape that you could see how the wood had rotted before it...did whatever wood does when it petrifies. Very cool.

Once I get the driver loaded and suchlike I hope to have some photos, though not of that: It was early and the light was terrible. Sometime, maybe.

No comments: