Monday, March 23, 2009

I spent most of this morning...

...Cleaning up the mess from yesterday evening.

The wind came up yesterday afternoon as expected, but toward sunset it really started to howl. We've had outbuildings blown right over during spring windstorms - yesterday's was almost as bad as any I've seen, so I was interested to see what kind of damage I'd have to deal with this morning.

Not so bad, really; no structural damage. Lots of things flung down the leeward slope. The wind sucked a milk crate out from under my lair and smashed it to bits against a tree, flinging pieces everywhere. Dust drifted all over the place. An exposed workbench swept clean of lumber, toolboxes, power tools...

Where I grew up, we'd call it a hurricane. Here we just call it a spring wind, and use it to keep the Californians at bay.

Rather than take a whole bunch of pictures, here's a representative example. Yesterday these guys were neatly stacked and straight. I remember a visitor asking why we went to the trouble of tying them to a skid. If he's reading this blog, this is why...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, it was bad down here too... not 'til the afternoon, though. Which is lucky, considering I was flying in the morning (when we landed it was about 15kts; at least it wasn't a crosswind).