Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hawks in the Gulch


There was a big red tailed hawk hunting on the banks of the wash this morning while I was headed for the cabin site. Still there when I came back; wish I could have gotten some shots of him, but he was really low and slow and likely wouldn't have been if I'd been afoot.

Though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel the same way if I were a rat or a snake, I do believe hawks are my very favorite birds just for watching. They are so very beautiful in flight, in a very specialized way. Same reason I enjoy watching fighter planes, even though "projection of power" isn't exactly my favorite concept. They do one thing, they do it very well, and they're just incomparably beautiful in the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love sitting on my deck watching the Hawks that reside in the field out back. They are a graceful dignified predator. No so good for the barn cats and squirrels around here, two springs ago I witnessed a squirrel skittering across a telephone wire and a hawk gently picked/swooped it up and took it home for dinner.

I guess I night see them in a slightly different light now that my family saw fit to buy a dog that will be all of 5lbs full grown instead of the Newfoundlander I was looking at.

Joel said...

I guess I night see them in a slightly different light now that my family saw fit to buy a dog that will be all of 5lbs full grown instead of the Newfoundlander I was looking at.

Yup, it's an issue. I only know of one group out here that's got a lap dog, and they pay close attention when he's outdoors. He thinks he's the Hound of the Baskervilles, but I (and his owners, thankfully) don't believe that the local predators agree. Only with diligence on the part of his protectors will that cute little yapper live to grow old.