Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A word about content and request for feedback

When I started blogging here back in the first part of December, I had in mind to post my day-by-day impressions of the 'gulching life'. There were two problems with this; first, while I'm currently the only one here I'm not the only one involved, and everybody's very privacy-oriented. They were amused and supportive of my little blog, but also concerned about security. I am too and have tried to keep it always in mind, but there have been posts that I modified or removed after emails flew. There are things going on that you haven't read about here, and that you won't. Not mine to share.

Second, most of my day-to-day activity is simply boring to read about. Today I took a walk with the dogs. I finished laying pipe to the barn's salvaged water heater, then learned that the frigging inlet pipe not only faces the wrong way but is apparently cemented into place with JB Weld, forcing me to do bizarre things with the pipe routing and consequently run out of pipe 99% of the way from the finish line. We've finally had three warm days in a row. Jesus, I'm putting myself to sleep.

The fact that, to my surpriseshock, in its brief existence my little blog has actually developed a loyal readership is kind of a problem in that regard. I started this as much as a way to get through the winter as anything else, and never expected much of a readership. We're not exactly in Lew Rockwell territory, but still quite a few people come here every day. I feel obligated to post every day regardless of whether anything interestingly gulch-related actually occurred. Also, my camera died. So if it seems to you that I've been leaning pretty heavily on news links and other blogs for content, well, I have. This was not my original intent, because you probably already know how to read the news. My take on various news items can be a bit...skewed, and I do try to keep it entertaining. But still, there are lots and lots of link blogs out there. You don't need this one.

So I'm asking those of you who do read here regularly for input. Is the way this has been going of value to you? Do you really care what-all Magnus is up to today? More boring gulch items? Less? Have I been wasting your time? Please respond.

10 comments:

PintofStout said...

I am still hanging around, so I guess I get something out of it. I don't always click over from my reader, especially for the link-blog style posts, but there is still plenty of value with what you do post.

You've done some book reviews and stuff that has been good. You have a unique voice and a great talent for expressing it, I hope it continues...so long as you get value from it.

Jac said...

Write another book and serialize it here... :P

Anonymous said...

I like reading about the dogs. I have dogs and a situation not unlike yours.



I also enjoy the political/personal commentaries and heck I learned more than I knew about saw horses. I generally look at the blog most days. I didn't agree with you on Edward Abbey but that's ok. Abbey was much more anarchist and more than a 70s greenie. (I can't remember exactly how you phrased it).

Just go the way you are. It's fine. Maybe you could talk some about the writing Walt's Gulch and the sequel. Or maybe not.

Of course there is much you can't write about. But there is a lot you can. And I find it valuable.

C.M. said...

Hey Joel,

I enjoy your blog very much, I find you have a fine sense of humour, interesting insights and I love hearing about your dogs.

I enjoy your descriptions (and photos BTW) of desert life, how you are going about cobbling together a home and family, a completely alien life to mine. ( P.S. A crocus popped out of the ground today!)Fascinating look into a life I will never live. Share what you want to share. So far it`s all good. For me anyway.

You write what you want to write about, it`s your baby.

Anonymous said...

Please continue, You are doing something that I cannot do at this time.I read and enjoy your blog everyday, and no I dont think Its boring.I like hearing about Magnus and Im going to the Dollarstore to try the shaving cream trick.
Thanks Zookeeper

Anonymous said...

Heck man, I've been a fan for a long time. I like coming here for the couple of minutes it takes to see what you are up too. I'd like to help you out with a camera but I don't know what or where to start.

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

Joel - I started stopping by your blog when Sunni linked over to you in her sidebar links. I've enjoyed the stories you tell and your take on matters. Your tales about your companions and the land you live on seem to have a perspective I appreciate - reminds me in some ways of how things are in my neck of the woods.

I started writing a bit about how things are in my 'gulch' a couple years ago but realised at a point that my privacy rode a balance there that I wasn't entirely comfortable with.

As long as you feel like writing here and keep coming up with material as you have - I'll probably enjoy stopping by.

Btw - as Anon 8:55pm suggests - Abbey wasn't your off-the-shelf greenie. He was actually pretty caustic towards how the 'environmental movement' had developed and towards hippies in general. One of his funnier remarks went something along the lines that "you don't have to look like a tumbleweed to be organic." A good read from him might be "The Brave Cowboy". (the book - not that godawful movie based on it)

Anonymous said...

Joel, I live vicariously here! Keep it up as long as you are up to keeping it.

CaptGooch said...

What ? You call this blogging ?
.....
I enjoy the tales of the dogs [I don't have even one with me now and I miss a dog in my life] and the never ending combat with stupidity in all of its ridiculous forms.
I too enjoy "your voice" whatever it is ....

Its your life man do what you will just don't think I'm gonna think less of you for doing your own thing.
I don't know when it happened but sometime this past winter I became, a fan, whatever the heck that means ....

Anonymous said...

Two more thumbs up for your blog! I'm also living the hermit life vicariously, through this blog and other sources.

I have learned, however, that the cat (or dog) vs. mouse/rat/other critter stories should not be read while eating. Eew. :D