Sunday, June 28, 2009

Testing, testing...

Okay. Things are finally settling down a bit, I found my old copy of PhotoShop and loaded on this box so I can screw with pictures, and maybe now I can breath enough to update this sucker.

M, W and I have been making progress on the Secret Lair, and despite my fears of the past few months it's gonna happen. There will be warmth this winter!


We got the pads and rebar in for the piers, the level for the tops of the piers determined, and the pier forms cut to size. Since the ground is very far from level, each pier is a different length so we numbered them before removing them for cutting.


Next step: Build three 16' floor joists out of salvaged 2X12s.


These will be nailed to the hangers and mounted on the pier forms before we pour the piers, so that we can make sure things are quite square before they're set in concrete. That's an interesting concept, and one that might catch on in time.


Little Bear helped.

This morning I sliced off the rebar below the top of the pier forms, and we spent a few hours doing the actual layout for the interior: Something I frankly hadn't given a lot of thought until now. But it's kind of important to know where your drains are gonna be, because it's vitally important to trench for the drain plumbing before the floor goes in. I figured that out all by myself! Okay, actually M figured it out. But I agreed.

No comments: